Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Crochet Injury?

So, here I am, writing my first blog post, and I'm on the injured list. Don't laugh, but I'm actually suffering from a crochet injury (confirmed by the doc)! Whoda thunk it? While trying to supply a number of plarn (plastic yarn) baskets to my strategic business partner - Truly Life - I crocheted a basket too tight and wound up on the bench for a couple of weeks recuperating. Fortunately, it's gotten better slowly (with the help of Tylenol with Codeine and my handy dandy heating pad). I've now had ample time to think of new designs and make quite a bit of plarn for those new designs.

Here are some things I've learned about making plarn:

1. People save their bags for you. A LOT of bags. Recently, my brother gave me three huge garbage bags full of grocery bags. I keep wondering if I'll ever get through them all.

2. Your house becomes Bag Central. No matter how much I sweep or clean, I keep finding little pieces of plastic bag on the floor.

3. You become a "bag lady". My local Giant grocery store loves what I do with their bags and will let me rummage through their recyclables. You should see the looks on the faces of their other customers. Fortunately, I do not embarrass easily.

4. The kids thought it was really cool to help... at first. Then the glamour wore off, and they're content to watch me fold, cut, put together and roll into a ball -- if they pay any attention at all.

5. It's really annoying to the hubby when I make plarn while we're watching tv in bed. It can be noisy. Fortunately, he's now been "plarn trained" and all I have to do is throw the end to him, and he'll start rolling it into ball. He's become quite good at it, too.

6. If you're not paying attention, you can wind up with a ball of plarn as big as a basketball.

Oh, there goes another piece of plastic scurrying across the floor! Gotta run for now.

2 comments:

  1. ::comfort:: So sorry to hear about your injury! I know I shouldn't laugh, but your post is so funny and positively cheerful it has had me laughing out loud! What a great first post! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a second attempt to get this comment to stick.

    I do a lot of beadwork and if I overdo it I have to wear some special stiff hand and thumb splints. Not only are these super ugly but they limit my movement.

    They do the trick though and without them I wouldn't be able to do anything.

    Check my blog sometime when you have a minute.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips